Omeo Historical Society
Justice Precinct & Historical Park, Omeo
Phone: 03 5159 1515
Omeo Historical Society is located in the A.M. Pearson Historic Park and manages the Justice Precinct on behalf of East Gippsland Shire Council.
There are five heritage listed buildings within the Justice Precinct, which is believed to be the most intact and original in Australia, dating back to the time when Omeo was a rough and tough multicultural mining boom town. The buildings are:
- old courthouse
- new courthouse
- police residence
- log lock-up.
The Society’s local history records are located at the police residence, with items from the local history collection displayed at various points throughout the grounds,
The Historical Society is also responsible for the court records in the ‘new’ courthouse, which was built in 1893. This court is still active, with sittings on two or three occasions per year.
- Omeo – an historic gold mining township
- Oriental Claims c1860 – Chinese gold mining area
- Cassilis Historical Area - 1870s gold mining relics and cemetery
- Benambra township – a traditional high country town, first settled in the 1830s
- Great Alpine Road – the historic north-south access route
- Hinnomunjie Bridge - National Trust listed 1910 timber truss bridge
- Glen Wills/Glen Valley/Sunnyside - former gold and tin mining towns