Orbost & District Historical Society
Museum, Library precinct, 1 Ruskin Street
Phone: 03 5154 2474
Located with the Shire library in Ruskin Street, the Orbost museum is open during business hours, Monday to Friday.
The collection relates to the history of European settlement from the 1870s. It includes a considerable number of artefacts donated by local people with an emphasis on family history.
Local attractions include:
- historic slab hut c1872
- Forest Park heritage precinct
- old butter factory
- replica paddle steamer ‘Curlip’
- historic hotels at Orbost and Marlo
- Combienbar waterwheel c1909
- unique bean drying barns.
Historical town walks, the rail trail history and the Marlo and Orbost cemeteries are also of great interest for anyone seeking information on the local history.
- The Iconic Snowy River
- Historic slab hut c1872
- Forest Park Heritage Precinct
- Old Butter Factory
- Paddle Steamer Curlip replica
- Historic hotels—Orbost and Marlo
- Combienbar Waterwheel c1909
- Cemeteries—Orbost and Marlo
- Historical town walk
- Rail trail history